*LSE Rowing VIII at Reading, 1923 (founding year)
The history of our club could hardly be described as conventional! Having been initially founded in 1923, the Club was dormant from 1977 until its re-establishment in 1991-92 by Dr. Charles E. Ehrlich. Quite the character, Charles named the club The LSE Soviet Socialist Rowing Club! Despite owning virtually no equipment; the club did possess a fleet of distinctly named vessels (“Dictatorship of the Proletariat”, “Mao Tse-Tung”, and “Tyranny of the Majority”). Whilst pursuing his Master’s degree, Charles, with great difficulty, worked to once again establish the club with what little resources he had. An entertaining account of Charles' tenure as Club Captain (or "Party Chairman"!) can be found here.